Online transactions are now common in our growing digital environment. However, there are instances in which you can be in a location with spotty or no internet service and still need to send or receive money. Offline UPI (Unified Payments Interface) payments can help in this situation. We’ll go in-depth on offline UPI payments in this complete guide, including how to set them up, their benefits, drawbacks, and security issues.
Understanding Offline UPI Payments
With the help of a mobile phone, India’s UPI payment system enables smooth and immediate transfers across bank accounts. It has become known for its efficiency and quickness. But in order to work, it often needs an internet connection. On the other hand, offline UPI payments let you conduct transactions even when you’re in a place without internet connectivity.
Setting Up Offline UPI
Setting up your account is necessary before you can make payments using UPI offline. These are the necessary first steps:
- Make Sure Your Mobile Number Is Associated With Your Bank Account by Registering It with the Bank. This is essential because your cell number is required for almost all of UPI transactions, even those that take place offline.
- Create a UPI PIN: You must create a UPI PIN, a private, 4- to 6-digit code. To validate and authorize UPI transactions, this PIN is necessary.
- Connect Your Bank Account: You must connect your bank account to your UPI app. This usually takes place during the initial setup process.
- Registration of UPI ID: Make a special UPI ID known as a Virtual Payment Address (VPA). It serves as an identifier similar to yourname@bankname, which makes it simpler for people to transfer your money.
Making Offline UPI Payments
Having completed the setup, let’s see how to do offline UPI transactions:
- enter the USSD Code: From your mobile device, enter the USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data) code *99# to start an offline UPI transaction. This is a standard code that all banks use.
- Select the UPI Option: After Dialing the code, you will be given a menu of choices. Select the UPI or UPI Payments option by searching for it in the menu.
- Enter the Recipient’s UPI ID: When sending money to someone, you must enter their UPI ID (VPA). To prevent sending money to the incorrect recipient, confirm that you have the correct UPI ID.
- Provide the Transaction Amount: Following the recipient’s UPI ID, provide the transaction amount. Verify the amount twice to prevent mistakes.
- The final step, which is vital for security, is to authenticate with a UPI PIN. When prompted, enter your UPI PIN. This PIN acts as an authentication device that ensures that only you can authorize the transaction.
- Verify the Transaction: The transaction will be executed after your UPI PIN has been validated. In order to confirm the purchase, you’ll get an SMS. This SMS acts as documentation for your transaction.
Limitations of Offline UPI Payments
Although offline UPI payments provide several benefits, it’s essential to be aware of their drawbacks:
- Transaction Limits: Compared to online transactions, offline UPI payments may have lower daily transaction limits. It’s important to verify with your bank to find out exactly what limits apply because these can change based on your bank.
- USSD Code Usage: Comparing USSD codes to smartphone apps, some users may find them to be less user-friendly. The adjustment to the procedure can take some time.
- Required Connectivity: Although the transaction is started offline, you still need some connectivity in order to call the USSD code and get SMS notifications. The transaction can fail if you are in a location with no signal at all.
When internet connectivity isn’t available, offline UPI payments offer an essential service. They are a valuable contribution to the world of digital banking. Understanding offline UPI payments can be a game-changer whether you’re on the go, in a rural area, or having network problems. For a seamless and secure experience, keep in mind to set up your UPI account, safeguard your UPI PIN, and double-check transaction data. With the help of this thorough manual, you’ll be well on your way to mastering offline UPI payments and being able to deal with any situation with confidence.