List of Banned Medicines in India 2023
Taking medicine is a part of life for many people. However, some medicines can be harmful or even deadly, which is why the government bans them. In India, the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO) is responsible for ensuring the safety and efficacy of medicines. It also maintains a list of banned medicines that are no longer allowed to be manufactured, sold, or used in the country.
To safeguard public health and ensure the safety and efficacy of medications, the Indian government periodically bans certain drugs. This article provides a comprehensive guide to the list of banned medicines in India as of 2023, with a focus on clarity and accessibility for the public.
Reasons for Banning Medicines
Here are some reasons why a medicine might be banned:
- Safety concerns: The medicine has been linked to serious side effects, such as liver damage, kidney failure, or even death.
- Ineffectiveness: The medicine has not been proven to be effective in treating the intended condition.
- Quality issues: The medicine is impure or contaminated.
- Manufacturing violations: The medicine has been manufactured in a way that does not meet safety standards.
Types of Banned Medicines
There are two main categories of banned medicines in India:
- Single Drugs: These are individual medications that are prohibited for use due to safety concerns or lack of therapeutic justification.
- Fixed-Dose Combinations (FDCs): These are medicines containing two or more drugs combined in fixed proportions. They are banned if they are found to be irrational, unsafe, or lacking proper scientific evidence to support their use.
List of Banned Single Drugs
Here is a list of some of the single drugs that have been banned in India:
- Chloramphenicol (Except for ophthalmic and topical preparations)
- Metronidazole (topical application for acne)
List of Banned FDCs
As of December 2023, a total of 14 FDCs have been banned in India. These include:
- Nimesulide Paracetamol Dispersible Tablet
- Amoxicillin Bromhexine
- Pholcodine Promethazine
- Chlopheniramine Maleate Phenylephrine Hydrochloride Caffeine
- Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide Chlorpheniramine Maleate Phenylephrine Hydrochloride
- Ambroxol Hydrochloride Guaiphenesin Levosalbutamol Menthol
- Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide Ambroxol Hydrochloride Guaiphenesin
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride + Phenylephrine Hydrochloride + Ammonium Chloride
- Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide + Phenylephrine Hydrochloride + Chlorpheniramine Maleate
- Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide + Doxylamine Succinate + Phenylephrine Hydrochloride
- Pholcodine + Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide + Chlorpheniramine Maleate
- Ambroxol Hydrochloride + Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide + Guaiphenesin
- Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide + Doxylamine Succinate + Guaifenesin
- Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide + Chlorpheniramine Maleate + Guaifenesin