On Saturday, the government announced a significant change in the Aadhaar enrollment process, allowing eligible individuals to enroll even if they do not have fingerprints or iris scans available. This decision comes after the intervention of Rajeev Chandrasekhar, the Minister of State for Electronics and IT, who facilitated the enrollment of Josymol P. Jose, a woman from Kerala who was unable to enroll due to missing fingers.
New enrollment Options
Citizens now have three alternative methods for Aadhaar enrolment:
- Iris Scan Only: Individuals can now enroll for Aadhaar solely based on their iris scan.
- Fingerprint Only: If an iris scan is not feasible, individuals can use fingerprints alone for Aadhaar enrolment.
- No Biometrics: For those unable to provide both iris and fingerprint scans, enrolment is still possible. In such cases, individuals need to register the following details: Name, Gender, Address, Date of birth, and Year of birth.
To compensate for the absence of biometric scans, a photograph of the individual will be taken in a specific manner, ensuring a comprehensive identity verification process.
This decision to allow alternative biometrics for Aadhaar enrolment stems from the efforts of Union Minister Rajeev Chandrasekhar to assist Josymol P Jose, a resident of Kumarakam in Kerala’s Kottayam district. Jose faced challenges due to the absence of fingers, highlighting the need for inclusivity in social security schemes.
The new provisions aim to make Aadhaar accessible to individuals with unique circumstances, promoting inclusivity and ensuring that no one is left behind.
Deadline for Free Aadhaar Updates
While celebrating this inclusivity, it’s important to note the upcoming deadline for free Aadhaar updates. The UIDAI has set December 14, 2023, as the last day for individuals to update their Aadhaar details free of charge. After this date, a service fee of Rs 50 will be applicable for updates done at Aadhaar centers.
How To Update Aadhaar Details?
If you need to update your Aadhaar details, follow these simple steps:
- Log on to uidai.gov.in.
- Create an account and log in.
- Click on “Update Demographic Data.”
- Check the status and choose the document update option.
- Enter your Aadhaar number.
- Upon receiving an OTP on your registered mobile number, enter it to proceed with the update.
- Keep relevant documents ready to support the update.
- A unique update request number will be provided to track the status of your application.
It is crucial to keep your Aadhaar details up to date to ensure smooth access to various services and benefits.
With the recent changes allowing Aadhaar enrollments without iris or fingerprint scans, the government is taking steps towards inclusivity and accessibility. These changes will benefit individuals with unique circumstances, ensuring that Aadhaar remains a robust and reliable identification system for all citizens.
Free Aadhaar Update Date?
upcoming deadline for free Aadhaar updates. The UIDAI has set December 14, 2023,